I am in the United States and over the past few days I’ve felt very dis-empowered. Covid19 taking more and more lives every day. President Trump claiming he has total power and re-opening America very soon. Watching news constantly to try and find out what I need to plan for. President Trump thankfully putting the responsibility on governors to re-open (I am thankful because we have a sensible governor). Watching Michigan protest the stay-home order. Re-opening of American depends on testing that is not available. The list goes on and I’m sure you’re familiar with at least some of these things.
This morning I made up my mind to take charge of my own reality, which was my stance on this in the beginning, but I got lost when I began to feel controlled at Trump’s statement of total power. It scared me because I do not see him taking anything seriously except the economy and stock market. I do not feel safe doing anything he orders because he goes by his gut, rather than listening to health officials and has even stopped supporting the World Health Organization.
This morning I was getting sucked back into all of the politics, trying to determine where my life was going and then it came to me. It’s time to take charge of my own economy, health and food. I immediately felt better, although this seems like an overwhelming task. But right now with our stay-home order in place and not looking like it’s going to let up soon, I have plenty of time to work at these things and by working at them I will at least feel I’m on my way to having control of my life, rather than being tossed around by the President’s changing whims.
So I thought I’d get on here and blog about it hoping to help anyone that is going through what I am. I realize everyone has different feelings about this – some want to get back to work, some don’t feel safe to go back to work, etc. But with the virus and the government regulations, we don’t have a lot of control over this. We could fight it, but going back to work could mean that the virus spreads rampantly and they have to close again. Why not spend energy on things you can do in your life to help your situation? What can we do for our own economy, health and food, in case these systems collapse?
Here are my ideas for my own life – please comment with your ideas in the comments.
Creating my own economy:
- eBay and all the other selling platforms are up and going and since most retail stores are closed down, there may be more people shopping online. I have noticed an increase in my sales over the past couple weeks. I realize many places to source (such as Goodwill) are also closed, but you could sell unwanted items in your home for some extra money.
- Blogging – while you may need thousands of subscribers to make money from ads on WordPress, why not use the time to build subscribers or think of other ways to make money from your blog? eBooks? Art? Classes? Life Coach?
- There’s many other online platforms and ideas for making money at home – YouTube, Fiver, Patreon. This is something I may research but for now I’m focusing on my blog and eBay.
Focusing on my health:
- From the beginning of Covid19, I made the decision to only leave home if absolutely necessary. I’ve done all of my grocery and other shopping online and haven’t been in a store or place of business since it started. I’ve always enjoyed being at home and have many things to do, so I’m doing well mentally, even being socially isolated. If I need to talk to someone, I call them. The social isolation can be a little difficult at times, but to me it’s worth it to feel safe and knowing I’m not passing the virus around. I try to focus on doing things I enjoy like gardening, reading, learning and cooking.
- I’m growing a garden which gives me nutrition, outdoors/sunshine, activity and something fun to do – which is good for health.
- I’m learning about the nutrition of the produce and herbs I am growing and incorporating that into my life. Imagine the nutrition content of a freshly picked organic tomato from your yard compared to a tomato grown thousands of miles away with chemicals. Imagine if you had a lot of produce growing in your yard – the health, activity and happiness it would give you.
Focusing on my own food:
- Here is the garden idea again. What if the food system collapses? They say it’s in good shape and maybe it is but we really don’t have any idea how this is going to play out. Why not grow a garden just in case?
- Chickens. I’m thinking about figuring out how to build a coop for chickens and the eggs will be a great addition to my garden. The chickens would also help the garden with their scratching and manure.
These are my own personal ideas. I can think of a lot of other ideas but this is what I’m focusing on for now, building on each one. What are your ideas?
Here are a few of the products available with my art printed on them (by clicking an item you like, it will take you to the page where it’s available). They’d make great gifts to yourself or someone you love and would help support my dream of becoming a full-time writer and artist. Any purchase would be SO appreciated, but if you don’t want to or can’t, that’s totally fine. Just stopping by and reading my blog is a huge support.